Forrest M. Ayers was a Portland homebuilding veteran, who worked as a carpenter for other homebuilders in the early 1900s and then went out on his own as an independent homebuilding contractor about 1907.
Forrest Minard Ayers was born in Fillmore, New York in 1882 and came to Portland in 1901. He and Pearl Fields were married in Portland in 1905. In the 1930s, the couple was living in a duplex at 2402 NE Oregon, just north of Sandy Boulevard. The Ayers had two children: Marion Robert and Harold W.
Ayers was a versatile builder, working from existing universal plan sets used by most Portland builders at the time. His earliest homes between 1907-1923 were mostly Craftsman-style bungalows. He also experimented with Mediterranean-style designs in the mid 1920s and later favored the Tudor revival and English cottage style that was so popular in Portland from the late 1920s into the 1940s.
A partial list of homes built by Ayers includes:
|3809 NE 25th||June 1940|
|2745 NE 32nd||September 1930|
|3011 NE Thompson||January 1927|
|127 NE Cesar Chavez Blvd.||July 1926|
|2414 NE 25th||June 1923|
|2642 NE 43rd||July 1915|
|2810 NE 24th||June 1915|
|1815 SE 34th||1909|
|3736 SE Clay||1907|
Ayers died in 1944 at age 62 and is buried at Riverview Cemetery. Pearl later moved to Seattle to be near their son and lived to the age of 102, passing in April 1985.